2018 Persuasive Essay Guidelines
St. David’s School of Nursing
Texas State University
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program
2018 Persuasive Personal Essay Guidelines
The purpose of your personal essay is to persuade the Admission Committee you are a highly qualified applicant, and they should select you as one of the 100 students conditionally admitted to the St. David’s School of Nursing for the 2018 fall semester.
Your persuasive personal essay must address the following 4 questions:
- Why are you choosing nursing as your profession?
- What primarily interests you about the St. David’s School of Nursing?
- Why should the St. David’s School of Nursing accept your application for admission?
- What are your plans for being a full-time nursing student? Address time management and balancing other responsibilities such as family, work, and other obligations you may have.
- If the majority of your college career you have been a part-time student – briefly state why and then describe your plan to earn high grades in rigorous nursing coursework as a full-time student.
- If you earned excessive non-science course withdrawals or repeats briefly explain.
- Note: See Science GPA Requirements for maximum attempts on the 5 science courses.
- Is there information about yourself that you would like the Committee to know about that is not otherwise explained or addressed in your application? Please briefly explain.
Persuasive Personal Essay Format:
- One page printed front and back typed double-spaced pages (8 ½” x 11”) with one-inch margins.
- In Times New Roman 12-point font.
- Written in first person.
- Submit 2 copies of your essay.
- Do not put your name or any other personal identifying items in your essay.
Review your persuasive personal essay with care before submitting it. Be sure it truly reflects who you are and is of the quality that you want the Admission Committee to review.
Your persuasive personal essay will be scored by the Admission Committee for the following:
- Completeness and organization.
- Spelling and grammar.
- Readability with clear, concise and well developed paragraphs that answer all 4 questions thoroughly while following the instructions.
Two copies of your Persuasive Personal Essay must be included in your application packet.