Apply and be admitted to Texas State University for the fall semester you plan attending nursing school. Allow 4-6 weeks.
- If you plan to complete prerequisite courses at Texas State University in San Marcos, apply for the semester you will begin attending Texas State.
- If you plan to complete prerequisite courses at another school, apply to Texas State for the fall semester you plan to start nursing school. Admission into Texas State is only valid for one semester. If you don’t attend Texas State the semester you were admitted for, you will need to reapply to the university.
- Transfer students, please send your transcript with fall grades to Texas State Undergraduate Admissions. Fall grades must be posted to your academic record to continue in the admission process.
After you have been admitted to Texas State University, you may apply to the nursing program. Please click HERE for specific information about applying to the BSN program and for a link to the application portal.
Please note, you must be a high school graduate at the time your nursing application is submitted to St. David’s School of Nursing
Click here for prerequisite course list.
Prerequisite GPA Requirements
A 3.0 is the minimum prerequisite GPA.
Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework must be sent to:
- Texas State's Undergraduate Admissions (in San Marcos)
- Current, fall grades must be sent to Undergraduate Admissions.
Science GPA Requirements
The required minimum GPA for science courses is a 3.0 (with a grade of C or higher required for ALL science courses) on the following courses:
- CHEM 1341 General Chemistry I (3 hours)
- BIO 1330 Functional Biology (3 hours)
- BIO 2440 Microbiology (4 hours)
- BIO 2451 and BIO 2452 Anatomy and Physiology I and II (8 hours) OR Anatomy (4 hours) AND Physiology (4 hours)
Applicants may test out or take credit for either BIO 1330 or CHEM 1341 but not both. The remaining 4 required science prerequisites must have an assigned grade.
Applicants must complete A&P I and II or Anatomy and Physiology, a combination of one A&P course and Anatomy or Physiology does not fulfill the science requirement.
There can be a maximum of 18 remaining prerequisite credit hours to complete in the spring and summer semesters before final admission to the St. David's School of Nursing. At the time of application to the nursing program, A&P I plus two or more science courses (there are five required science courses) must be completed.
NUTR 2360 must have a minimum grade of C.
Applicant may have a maximum of eight attempts (including Ws) on the five required science courses, with no more than two attempts on any one science course.
It is not recommended applicants take Anatomy and Physiology online or for dual credit in high school.
ATI TEAS BSN Requirement
The ATI TEAS is the Test of Essential Academic Skills, which evaluates students’ general knowledge of math, science, reading, and English. All applicants must submit their Individual Performance Profile (page 1) with their application materials. The required minimum scores for the ATI TEAS exam are:
Click HERE for more TEAS information.
Criminal Background Checks
Two criminal background checks are required prior to admission. A drug screen is also required.
Applicants who have met the minimum admission requirements will receive detailed information from St. David’s School of Nursing regarding the first criminal background check including finger printing.