Requirements for Admission
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from a regionally accredited nursing program. Degree must be reflected on transcript at the time of application.
- Complete the admissions procedures listed on the Graduate College website. This includes completing an application through Apply Texas.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in nursing courses from an accredited college or university.
- Complete an undergraduate course in statistics with a grade of C or higher. Course must be completed at the time of application and reflected on submitted transcripts.
- Current, unencumbered RN licensure in Texas or other state in which the student will complete clinical courses. Print license from BON website.
- Equivalent of one year experience as a RN prior to the application deadline for the MSN-PMHNP program.
- responses to specific essay questions
- Three (3) professional reference contact information from persons competent to assess the applicant's academic capability and interest in pursuing a career as an PMHNP.
- Students must pass a background check (in addition to that on file at the Texas Board of Nursing) and drug test.
- Student liability insurance paid to TxState.
- Health Certificate is completed and signed by a healthcare provider.
- Provide proof of all required immunizations.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers.
- Documentation of health insurance for each semester you are attending Nursing School. If you do not have health insurance, there are many resources on the Internet. The following is a site posted on the Texas State University website:
- Insurance: Student Health Center www.healthcenter.txstate.edu/INSURANCE
- Deadline: Provide documentation on or before the first day of the semester
- Attend New Student Orientation at the St. David’s School of Nursing in Round Rock.
- Attend classes in Round Rock once or twice each semester.
*Note: Due to variation in the laws of states and regulations of state Boards of Nursing, our ability to offer admission to non-Texas residents may be limited at this time.
Online Statistics Courses
If you have not yet taken an undergraduate statistics course, you may consider taking an online course before you begin your program. We accept other courses in addition to this, and do not recommend one course in particular. Please also check for prerequisites, as you may need them depending on where you take the course.
Reapplying to the St. David's School of Nursing
Applicants may apply to the MSN-PMHNP program at St. David's School of Nursing a total of two times. Please follow these steps to apply for the second time:
- Submit an application to the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practictioner program via www.ApplyTexas.org
- Submit a new Statement of Purpose
- New transcripts are needed only if classes have been taken since the first application (the Graduate College keeps previously submitted transcripts on file for 1 year).
- Submit three (3) new professional reference contact information from persons competent to assess your academic capability and interest in pursuing a career as an PMHNP.
All admissions materials must all be submitted to the Texas State Graduate College, not the School of Nursing.